What's Restless Leg Syndrome?
A neurological condition known as Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS), affects approximately 15% of the population. The condition is characterised by an insatiable urge to move your legs. It can also be accompanied by discomforts in the lower extremities. RLS is a condition that can happen at any age. However, it's more prevalent in older adults. RLS symptoms can be mild, intermittent or severe.
Although the exact cause of RLS remains unknown, it may be due to malfunction in certain brain areas involved with movement control. Research suggests that RLS may be linked to Genetics , since the disease is often passed down in families. Iron deficiencies, hormone imbalances, nerve damage and some medications could also be Causes .
The Common Causes of Restless Leg Syndrome
Although the exact cause of RLS remains unknown, there have been several possible factors linked to its onset. They include:
- Iron Deficiency - Low iron levels can cause RLS. Dopamine is regulated by iron, which helps regulate the levels.
- RLS can be caused by hormonal imbalances.
- Nerve damage: Damage to nerves in legs may cause abnormal signals being sent to brain.
- Certain medicines: Some medications, such as antidepressants and antipsychotics and some Cold and allergy medication, can raise the likelihood of RLS.
There are several common Treatment s for restless leg syndrome
RLS treatment focuses on managing symptoms and symptom relief. Treatment options vary depending on severity. These include lifestyle modifications, medication, or alternative therapies. RLS is treated with the following:
- Lifestyle modifications: Regular exercise, abstaining from caffeine and alcohol and adequate sleep are some of the lifestyle changes that can reduce your symptoms. You can get relief by using hot/cold compresses or massage.
- Dopaminergic Drugs, Anticonvulsants and Opioids: These medications can reduce the symptoms. However, they could have side effects.
- Alternative Treatments: Acupuncture and yoga are alternative therapies that can relieve your symptoms. Research has shown that acupuncture can be particularly helpful in relieving symptoms.
Expert Opinions about Restless Leg Syndrome
RLS can be managed by experts if it is diagnosed early. The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke states that early diagnosis and treatment of RLS can increase the chance of successful management.
As a first line treatment for RLS, the American Academy of Sleep Medicine suggests lifestyle changes, medication, and other therapies. If symptoms don't improve, they advise against self-medication.
Restless Leg Syndrome Prevention Tips and Natural Remedies
There are natural treatments that may be able to relieve the symptoms of RLS. They include:
- Exercise regularly: It can reduce the symptoms and increase your overall health.
- Magnesium Supplementation - Magnesium supplementation can increase dopamine and decrease symptoms.
- Reduce Stress: This can be done to reduce stress and help the body relax.
- Lifestyle changes: Avoiding caffeine, alcohol and nicotine may help reduce your symptoms.
There are many preventative measures you can take to reduce your risk of getting RLS. You can reduce your risk by getting enough sleep, exercising regularly, not drinking caffeine or alcohol, and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
A neurological condition called restless leg syndrome can affect up to 15% . The condition is characterised by an insatiable urge to move your legs. It can also be accompanied by discomforts in the lower extremities. Although the exact reason for RLS remains unknown, it may be due to malfunctioning in certain brain parts involved with movement control. RLS can be caused by iron deficiency or hormonal imbalances, nerve injury, Certain Medications , and other factors.
RLS treatment focuses on managing symptoms and may include medication, lifestyle modifications, or alternative therapies. To improve your chances of managing symptoms, experts recommend that RLS be diagnosed and treated early. There are also natural ways to reduce your risk of getting RLS.
Restless leg syndrome, a neurological condition that affects the quality of your life can be a serious problem. It can be treated with the right diagnosis.